As this blog isn’t totally about being an artist, I thought I’d talk about country life today.
This evening I was sitting on my patio listening to the sounds of the day winding down. For those of you who live in the city, I know you think you live in a chaotic and noisy environment. But those of us who live in the country also have the noise and chaos…just a bit different.
This evening as I was sitting on my patio, I tried to identify all the sounds that I could.
- Crickets in the garlic chives
- Birds – chickadees, cardinals, goldfinches, titmouse, two kinds of woodpeckers, mourning doves, and even the stupid starlings in the gutters
- Peepers (frogs) in the lowlands
- Diesel engines of the train about a half mile away
- Neighbor’s son revving up his truck’s engine then taking off
- Far away highway sounds
- Jet high overhead
- Cat meowing in the shop telling me that it’s too early to be shut up for bedtime
- Wind in the trees overhead
- Bumblebees in the honeysuckle
Plenty of noise…just different. You just have to listen.