It’s been a raw and unpredictable March with rain, wind, snow, what have you. If you’re still stuck indoors, here is a VERY EASY and VERY GOOD bread recipe. My husband is the bread maker around here and has many favorites, but this one seems to be a hit with everyone.
Don’t be afraid. Just do it! You don’t even have to touch the dough or knead it. Perfect crusty artisan bread.
- 5 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons of dry yeast
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir to incorporate. Cover well with plastic wrap. Let sit out on the counter overnight (12-18 hours).
You will need an enamel roaster pan with lid. This should be small size. The old speckled kind that your grandma used to have will be fine. (Our pan is elongated but a round one works fine, too.)
- Put the roaster pan and lid into a cold oven.
- Turn on the heat to 450 degrees
- When the oven reaches 450 degrees, take out the pan (carefully) and sprinkle with corn meal. (No grease or oil.)
- Pour the bread mixture into the hot pan, replace lid and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove the lid and bake another 20 minutes
- The bread should tip out of the pan easily. It will be crusty on the outside and moist on the inside.
You may add other ingredients when assembling on day 1, such as, dried herbs.
That’s it! Serve with a pot of homemade soup. Your friends and family will think you’re a genius.